Guide: How to rename template directory name in Joomla 3.x

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: How to rename template directory name in Joomla 3.x

You are reading this because you probably want to rename/personalize the name of your template directory.

So here is a guide how to do that in Joomla 3.x- it´s based on an older guide by the famous HOGASH :-)

These below apply for already installed templates:

1) BACKUP FIRST!!!! I mean it! It won't ruin the whole website but it's better to quickly BACKUP things. Also this method is tested and 100% works. But in case it won't for i don't know what reason, you will have a way back. I'm not responsible for any data loss!

NOTE: NEVER use spaces and always keep in LOWERCASE!

2) Go to your root/template/ folder and look for the templates directory which you want to rename, from ex: "jv-allinone" to "mytemplate". Keep the LOWERCASE!

3) Open templates/jv-allinone/templateDetails.xml with your favorite editor and use the Search & Replace tool to search for 'jv-allinone' and replace it with 'mytemplate' . It should occur either once or a few times. Keep the LOWERCASE!

4) Go to languages/en-GB/ folder and search for this files: en-GB.tpl_jv-allinone.ini and en-GB.tpl_jv-allinone.sys.ini - Rename files to "en-GB.tpl_mytemplate.ini".

5) Inside your hosting provider's control panel, go to PhpMyAdmin and go to the database used by this Joomla install.
    On the left side the tables are listed. Look for the one called "#__extensions". Now #__ stads for the prefix of the tables. The tables name prefixes are randomly generated.

So open and you will see a huge table with multiple columns. Look for the column called "type" (it should be the 3rd) and click on the title. For a better view, it will sort alphabettically the rows. Click it twice to start with the end of the alphabet so that the "template" type should be the first results.

You should see a few rows having the type as template. Look for the one you want (as i said before in my case it's jv-allinone) and click on the edit button.

Replace every occurrence of "jv-allinone" with the "mytemplate" or your desired name. Look in ALL the fields, ok?

6) Now, look again on the left side for the table called "#__template_styles". Once opened you will see a table with just a few results and one of the rows has it's "template" name to "jv-allinone". Again, rename everything you see having "jv-allinone" and rename it to "mytemplate".

7) Delete your cache (site AND browser) and see the result. Happy? You´re done.

8) Not happy? Use your BACKUP ;-)

This is a useful guide, Thanks mate!

Comment

Working...
    X